Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Eureka!


I have discovered my haven on the internet. It may sound totally droll and boring to you but I love it. It's this blog/website named "You Can't Call It It" and this lady basically posts different names under different categories. She puts fun facts about some names or certain reasons why this would make a great name. It's a fun blog and I love it but then again, I love names. Here are some of my favorites right now:

Adelaide- classic but I love. Plus I have an Adelaide on Sims 2 (she's married to Pablo Garcia and has 3 children: Camille, Cooper, and Cody...)

Alphonse- sounds like the hero in some romance but nonetheless I like

Anona-it's a pan gram!

Atlas-reminds me of Atlas Farnese; just sounds like a solid name

Aubin-something new but rustic sounding; means "white" Latin

Bertram-Edmund from Mansfield Park? Or Hero's husband in All's Well That Ends Well? Both jerks with nice names.

Beatrice-hmmm....from Much Ado About Nothing? Or just a classic, underrated "B" name? Both.

Bernadette-another underrated classic, underrated "B" name that just sounds unique. Although I don't think I'd name my own child this...

Bianka- ... ... I really like this name, especially the German spelling ;)

Charlotta OR Charlotte- just a pretty, classic name.

Coco-Chanel? Enough said.

Colin-Firth? Mr. Darcy? Just say yes.

Dahlia-a new name to me but I like.

Daylee-it sounds like a last name but I like this spelling, plus it makes it seem more like a first name as opposed to a last name.

Ellington- Duke? Jazz? Yes. Plus I think it's a cool name.

Evangeline-Epic poem by Longfellow plus I like it.

Ezora-This name kind of seemed weird to me at first but now I really like it...

Fergus-This name makes me laugh.

Genevieve-French + sophisticated = love.

Georgianna-Mr.Darcy's sister, nothing to do with it of course

India- it's a great country...? And I like it for a girl's name.

Jacques-classic French name

Jasper- another cool name that I like and think is underrated.

Jethro-Tull? It's a good band.... Plus it's a character from one of my favorite books, Across Five Aprils by Irene Hunt

Kieran- once again, new and cool.

King/Kingston- Jamaica?

Lola-more of a little girl's name but it's cute.

Luca-I just like it.

Oberon-King of the Fairies in A Midsummer's Night Dream

Olivia-always been a favorite of mine

Ophelia-Hamlet's love in Hamlet plus a pretty, unique name

Primrose-Sounds "prim" and proper. Another name that I probably wouldn't name my child.

Scarlett-O'Hara, Gone With the Wind. Yes
Tallulah-unique and original

Viola- Sebastien's twin sister in Twelfth Night...I feel like I have too many Shakespearean names... Plus it's a great instrument.

Viridian- it's a cool name I think

Willow- I like it but for some reason it reminds me of Sarah Palin...are one of her children named this?
So there are a few... Yes, mother, I know that in order to name children I have to have children first. But I have some great potential Sims 2/3 names.

6 comments:

Samantha said...

My opinions on your name list. It's gotten a little ranty, don't take everything seriously. In fact, consider it all a joke.

Atlas? If you name your kid Atlas, everyone who knows you will assume that you were on something, and then wonder if it was really you, because you wouldn't do drugs.
Dahlia-Black Dahlia murder? Do you want your kid to drain people's blood when they kill them? No.
Charlotta is too much like Carlotta. Some guy's last words involved that name. I think it was like "Don't leave me, Carlotta!" It would be sweet, but Carlotta was his mistress, not his wife.
Lola. Your child will be a politician named Lola? No, they will be a stripper named Lola.
Olivia is actually becoming really common, but I like it.
Tallulah. Do not do it.
Willow is the second oldest girl.

Luna Moon said...

You're gonna be busy if you have this many kids.

And remember, you may like the name because it sounds all cool and historical, but to the rest of the world? They will be taunting magnets.

Zoopsia said...

i think that samantha and 'luna moon' need to remember that they are still in high school, and once out, people don't make fun of each other nearly as much. although... lola would be asking her to be a stripper, and dahlia also has very negative connotation.
name your kids/sims whatever you want. not what the world or your friends want.

Bianka Rose said...

i said Lola was cute. stripper? no.
Atlas as in FARNESE. it's a freaky sweet story. i think i like some names b/c i associate them with other things.
and Willow is off the list.

Andrea said...

The viola is more than just a great instrument. Much more.

But someone named Viola... I picture someone old. I don't think Shakespeare had that many good name choices. I like Sebastian. And Puck... Probably everyone in A Midsummer Night's Dream is okay. Sly is good. Olivia. Paris, Juliet. Celia. Bianca (I like your spelling better).

I've never thought about that.

melissa maxfield said...

These are just "some of your favorites"?
I think you may be a 'name junky' and that is why you like Sims ... not because you create, contrive and control their lives but because you get a 'naming fix'
And as for children?
As long as you have 1 and name her Chrysanthemum that will be okay.
(I can't believe you left Chrysanthemum off the list!!!)