Sunday, December 19, 2010

The Battle in My Head

I've been thinking a lot lately about anthropology. Once upon a time, when I was younger, I wanted to be an anthropologist. An even longer time ago, during my brief stint as a child, I wanted to be a horse trainer. Well, I grew up and realized that I had other interests than simply horses, and discovered anthropology. Actually I'm pretty sure quiz bowl came first, but anyway.

What happened? When did I decide anthropology wasn't the right field for me? When did I set that aside and let this concept of curatorial work consume my future career goals?

...I don't know.

It seems as if moving back to the South has sparked this inner anthropologist within. I frequently note trends that differ from the North and I'm constantly thinking "why?" (Mrs. APEuro would be proud.)
Why does school seem to not be as big a factor?
Why do so many people love football?
Why are boyfriend/girlfriend relationships so rampant down here, like the plague in Florence during the fourteenth century?
Why are there so many churches?
Why does there seem to be almost no separation between church and state?
Why does my school tell me to stand and say the pledge of allegiance every morning?
Why is everything so laid back? 

Most of these questions are easily answered. (Such as, you're in the Bible Belt, Emmeline, of course the boundary between church and state is hazy.) But I keep asking why, why, why. I can't seem to trace the genesis of many of my questions; the list of whys seem to continue infinitely.

And then I start thinking. Do I really want to major in art history? Why not anthropology?
And then I shove that creeping whisper of doubt into the back of my mind, hoping I'll just forget about it.

2 comments:

Samantha said...

School isn't a big factor because you go to a school filled with normal people. Your old school was not filled with normal people.
People love football because they find guys in spandex, slamming into each other to be interesting. I have no idea.
I really like that you likened high school relationships to the plague. What would Freud say about that? Do people get married younger there?
There are five churches within a mile of my house. It's not just Tennessee.
Because it's the south.
Because they want you to be a patriotic, mindless drone.
Because it's the south.

You should major in both art history and anthropology. That would be a party. And you could like...run the museaum world.
Also, the word verification is "reater" on this comment. What does that mean?

Bianka Rose said...

I could totally dominate the museum world. Is it terribly nerdy that that sounds extremely awesome to me? To be this prestigious figure in the museum world? Ahh!
Umm, I don't know. Dictionary.com? I never really thought some of those words were legit anyway.