Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Wickedly Wondrous Words

Words are wonderful.

What I love the most about some words is how they can contain a whole concept within just a few letters. If that didn't make any sense, I hope the following words (and their awesomeness) clarify any confusion you may have. And if you do know what I mean by the previous statement, does it seem obvious? A discernible bit of information? Rather a stupid observation?

Tintinnabulation: the jingling of bells. It's six syllables long, which is actually longer than saying "the bells jingled", but it's extremely fun to say and type.

Beek: To bask or warm in the sunshine or before a fire. I had no idea that this word actually existed until today. It's Dictionary.com's word of the day. Isn't it fabulous?

Antebellum: before or existing before the war, especially the American Civil War. I think of Gone With the Wind.

Anachronism: something or someone that is not in its correct historical or chronological time, esp. a thing or person that belongs to an earlier time. I prefer to use this word in its adjective form, anachronistic.

Defenestration: to throw out a window. I like this word AND the mental image I conjure when I hear this word. Ha. Hahaha. (Although it's probably not that funny if you're the one being defenestrated. Is anyone else thinking of Prague right now?)

Orthoepy: the study of proper pronunciation. My reaction when first seeing this word was, "Oh my gosh, that exists?!?"

Vellicate: to touch (a body part) lightly so as to excite the surface nerves and cause uneasiness, laughter, or spasmodic movements. Once again, my reaction was, "There's a word for that??"

Confabulation: the act of confabulating; conversation; discussion. It's 9467 times more fun to say "confabulation" than discussion or conversation.

Premorse: having the end irregularly truncate, as if bitten or broken off. I imagine something (mostly a rock) with jagged edges, symbolic of a bigger idea.

Fantod: state of extreme nervousness or restlessness.

Do you get what I mean? Some words are more than just an adjective or an action. They're an idea completely embodied within a word, an entire concept expressed so wholly in a matter of several letters. They sum up so much so perfectly.
I love words.

2 comments:

Becca said...

This is fantastic ( I couldn't think of a better word?!). Do more of these posts so we can have a confabulation about them. ;) I heart the word Antebellum too.

melissa maxfield said...

Okay, so the next time I pick you up from school we can confabulate? Seet! All I need is the right word : )