Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Knowledge

We were discussing something totally relevant to US History in APUSH today (yeah, that was sarcasm) and I zoned out for a while...then when I decided to zone back in, I heard my teacher say, "Just because you're innocent doesn't mean you're ignorant. I'm not any happier now that I know so many things. In fact I'm saddened by some of the things I know."

For some reason, the truthfulness of this observation really hit me.
I love knowledge and I crave it the acquisition of it, but knowledge can be so depressing. Knowledge has sometimes been described as the great equalizer. Why do we sometimes look down on others who may not know certain things, whose society may seem primitive to our own? I think this is more applicable to history as opposed to nowadays. Who are we to say that we are the better society because we're more "technologically advanced"? Are we really any better off than other cultures who don't have the conveniences of modern day medicine, our living standards, etc? The meaning of life consists of happiness and making others happy. Happiness isn't something that comes with material possessions.
Gosh this world is screwed up.
And the above paragraph was all over the place. It's difficult to find fluidity within my thoughts anymore. It's too spastic. Ahhh.


Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Join quiz bowl and become evil.

1 comment:

Becca said...

Makes sense to me, and I agree 100%! I LOVE LOVE LOVE having Spencer grow up in Africa because he NEVER sees one commercial for toys or things we don't need. So at Christmas one time all he wanted was a bike and chocolate. Um..yes! It's true that just because one society has more things it's not better off than an African village where women have to walk miles to get water for one day. Some knowledge is better, but not all. Happiness is the key to everything.