Monday, June 21, 2010

Camping, Stars, and Rain

I'm going camping for a whole week. I'm looking forward to it.
There's something oddly soothing about camping; it's relaxing.

I remember the first time I really saw the stars was while camping in Montana. Yes, of course I've seen stars in the night sky, but not like this. There was something different about these ones. There was little to no air pollution and when you looked up, the sky was permeated with them. Little clusters sprinkled across the sky, natural illumination as far as the eye could see. It was breath taking as I lay there with my father while he showed me constellations. I remember thinking that it looked as if God had taken a salt shaker and shook it vigorously across the sky.
In ninth grade I learned in Earth Science that for most stars, it takes eight years (or more) for their light to reach Earth. Ever since then, I've always thought that looking into the night sky is like looking into the past. Then I get all nostalgic and then common sense kicks in.
Shut up, nostalgia.

Anyway, camping. I hope it doesn't rain. There's actually a 50-60% chance that it will, but I'm crossing my fingers that it doesn't. Rain is terrible while camping. We're going tubing and hiking, we're making peach cobbler and s'mores.
Yeah, it should be good.

1 comment:

Samantha said...

Waking up to see the stars makes me wish I never had to sleep again.