Sunday, February 8, 2009

Jackson Pollock


He is my current favorite abstract expressionist painter. At first, I guffawed at the idea of some guy dripping paint across canvas and people calling it incredible art. Then I started researching him. I discovered that it's not what he made but how he made it. The above painting, called Autumn Rhythm, is one of my favorites by him. It's 8.75 feet high and 17.25 feet wide and was painted in the 1950's. He dripped paint across a canvas on the floor and the way he spread it is the most interesting to me. He used knives, trowels, and sticks to spread the paint across the canvas. To me, it's just so different and when I look at it it reminds me of different flavors of coffee spilled across the canvas.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

It seems to me that he went through a lot of work to do something even a mediocre artist could do. Props to him for a cool nickname, but as an artist, I think he is incredibly lame... He can be amazing for coming up with the idea, but he can't be amazing for his skill.