Sunday, April 9, 2017

Late Nights and Daffodils

Work hours come and go in cycles. The past two weeks, the short hours have been going while the long hours have settled in. 

I arrived home from work this past Thursday around 9:15. I was tired, my head and eyes ached. Nathan picked me up from the train station and we went home. I walked in the door, and noticed an empty sink, a tidied kitchen. I threw some pocket lint away and noticed that the vacuum had been emptied out. My eyes ventured to the cleaned carpet and finally, I noticed some bright daffodils sitting in the white pitcher on the dining table. 

I turned to Nathan and in surprise asked him if he had done the dishes and vacuumed? He answered yes, and I followed up with another question: did you make the bed, too? He nodded. Where'd you get the daffodils? I went to Smith's and got some flowers for you then I got some flowers for me. He had purchased some sweet and Thai basil. 

These simple acts of thoughtfulness were tender mercies, and I felt such immense gratitude for Nathan, although busy with experiments and writing a thesis, who took the time to serve me. 

Sure love that guy. 


No comments: