Monday, June 28, 2010

Book Covers and Other Things

I have Samantha to thank for my book cover craze right now. So, thanks? These for Lemony Snicket and these for Harry Potter were pretty great. I'm also really liking the ones for Penguin Classics. In May it dawned on me that they put classical art on the covers of many works of literature....ever since then, I always look to see what the cover design is. I have a Gros on my copy of War and Peace, I saw a Pride and Prejudice with a Manet, a Man in the Iron Mask with Rembrandt's magnum opus, and a collection of Charles Dickens with sketches by Boz. (I'm not a big fan of Boz right now actually. Well, perhaps I should say: I'm not a big fan of the art community for attributing many of Rembrandt's works to Boz, who was a pupil of his. Yeah, I'm kind of upset over this.) For some reason though, I find this really exciting.

I have a lot to do, mainly for quiz bowl. The other day I discovered that the library has this book I've been looking for and guess what? I've already read most of the book. I stumbled upon it last summer and started reading it, however I did not finish it nor did I know that it was recommended by quiz bowl forums. I feel rather accomplished.
Quiz bowl camp is getting close....I'm kind of really pumped.


3 comments:

Samantha said...

Oh, I like the Brett Hilquest ones for Series of Unfortunate Events a lot better.
http://www.doorsixteen.com <I'm totally obsessed with this blog. She designs book covers! It's her job!

Samantha said...

and here's the covers I expected you to link to. http://www.behance.net/Gallery/Harrys-Tale/393384

Bianka Rose said...

I'm loving Door Sixteen. Thanks!