Friday, May 15, 2009

A Brief Conversation with Yunbo

The Fighting Temeraire, J.M.W. Turner
Thursday at quiz bowl, I sat by Yunbo. We were going to start a game and it was silent until he said:
"I hope you know your art well."
I replied, "I think I do...at least I hope I do."
"Art is so arbitrary."
"Yes, it is arbitrary."
"I mean, some guy paints whatever he wants and puts it in his cupboard. Three hundred years later, it's worth millions of dollars and the answer to some quiz bowl question that we can't answer!" 

I thought it was kind of funny and at the same time, kind of true.
But I like art. 
I think I should be studying even more art now. I kind of feel...inadequate to be on the varsity A team. At the same time I feel thrilled but I should know my art even better. It's intimidating. I'm just a little bit...scared that I won't live up to the expectations placed on me. 
I think it's these times that I can't rely on my own strength.

4 comments:

batmanrocks said...

Like I always say, you have to be dead to be a good artist

Andrea said...

You are going to be the best person on our Varsity A team and after you guys win, people by the dozens will flock to you, chanting your name, as they pick you up and raise you over their heads. It's going to be a very emotional moment. You better get ready.

Hopefully there will be a cooler full of ice water or Gaterade to dump on your head.

Leah Beth said...

!

melissa maxfield said...

and who determines which pieces are worth notoriety and which aren't??