Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Seriously?

This morning in seminary, we were talking about unpardonable vs. unforgivable sins and murder came up. We were talking about different situations, and one girl (Paige) pointed out that some children in the Congo are forced to kill their parents as a part of war. Some other girl in my seminary class pipes up and says, "Yeah? And what are we supposed to do about it?" After she said this, some kids in my class started laughing, but I just sat there...slightly shocked and incredulous.

Did she really just say that?

It was probably one of the most insensitive things I have ever heard someone say. To treat others' misfortunes with such a flippant, sarcastic attitude is beyond rude. Maybe you can't do something about it right now (although I would disagree) or it's difficult to prevent people from committing such heinous crimes, but at the very least you should be aware as opposed to ignorant. You should be sympathetic, and that kind of knowledge should arouse within you a desire to make the world a better place. I was appalled at her remark, her nonchalant and stagnant attitude towards the trials others face, and I regret not saying something to her about it. It was not funny and I'm disappointed that some people laughed at her remark.
Gosh. Seriously?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
--Edmund Burke

2 comments:

Samantha said...

I agree. The reaction to bad things isn't supposed to be indifference, it's supposed to be action. Tell this girl that Samantha is punching her over the internet because she doesn't really know how to deal with stupid people.

Spencer Kim said...

It's depressing that the vast majority of Americans have such shallow morals and values and beliefs. American popular culture is derogatory, seriously.
Heh, I wish I could be a part of these discussions :)