Monday, April 13, 2009

Tutoring and Tori

First matter of business: a Torus (Tori for plural). AKA, a doughnut. I thought it might be called a torque but that's a force that has something to do with physics. Wikipedia tried to explain it to me but I wasn't really following. Anyway, to be technical, a torus is a "surface of revolution generated by revolving a circle in three dimensional space about an axis coplanar with the circle, which does not touch the circle". Just think of a doughnut. ("Doughnut? OH! You mean a torus!" That is what I'm going to say from now on.)
Secondly, today at tutoring we named our smoke detector Peter. The detector keeps making all these beeping noises (probably because we need to change the battery) and the girl I was tutoring, Marissa, was getting a headache from it. So, I decided that since it was making random noises we should name it Peter. She liked it. From hence on, she would say every time it beeped "Stop it, Peter! I'm going to throw you out a window if you don't stop!" 
It was fun. 

1 comment:

Luna Moon said...

Two thumbs up for named a fire alarm after Peter and actually finding out the name of the shape of a doughnut.